Table 3: Antibiotics for Vancomycin Resistant Staph aureus [17,34,49-51].
Table 3a: Oxazolidinones.
|Drug Name||Year FDA Approved||Notes|
• Protein synthesis inhibition through P site binding of ribosomal 50S subunit interfering with peptidyl transferase and peptide bond formation.
• Resistance profile is superior to other protein synthesis inhibitors.
• Rare oxazolidinone resistance due to alterations of 23S rRNA has been reported but remains uncommon.
• IDSA recommends usage in persistent MRSA bacteremia or vancomycin treatment failure.
• Treatment failures have been noted in adults.
• A second-generation oxazolidinone with superior activity against resistant Gram-positive organisms compared with linezolid.
• FDA approved for ABSSI