Table 1: Inclusion and exclusion criteria.
• Known CNV secondary to AMD or PCV as demonstrated by fluorescein and ICG angiography.
• Prior treatment with at least 4 injections of anti-VEGF agents (bevacizumab or ranibizumab) in the past 6 months and persistent intraretinal or subretinal fluid, or both, on spectral-domain optical coherence tomography during this period.
• Pigment epithelial detachments were included as long as there was associated subretinal fluid or intra retinal oedema.
• BCVA between 35 and 90 ETDRS chart letters.
• Uncontrolled IOP of more than 25 mmHg.
• Current vitreous haemorrhage or inflammation.
• Prior vitrectomy or any intraocular surgery within 2 months of study commencement.
• Anti-VEGF therapy within the previous 30 days; photodynamic therapy within the previous 90 days.
• If the OCT was dry at any time during the 3 months before switching to aflibercept (to allow the inclusion of previously responsive tachyphylactic eyes).
• More than 2 prior photodynamic therapy treatments.
• Presence of significant subretinal fibrosis, tubulation, cystic degeneration or atrophy.
• Significant corneal or lenticular opacities.
• Myocardial infarction, transient ischemic attack, or cerebrovascular accident within the previous 90 days.